Thursday, July 13, 2006

#1 Cause of Child Poisonings

According to poison control centers, it's dishwasher detergent. Most detergents contain chlorine in a dry form that is highly concentrated. Getting a powdered form versus gel also makes it less easy to swallow. These products are akaline and should be considered caustic and corrosive. Skin irritation and/or burns can occur if you are exposed to dissolved detergents.

Common sense tip: The most common place for dishwasher detergent to be stored is under the sink. All detergents and cleaning agents should be carefully stored well away from the reach of children and pets. Better yet, switch to a brand that won't harm family, pets or the environment.

I have to confess, under the sink is exactly where our dishwasher detergent is. I feel better about this because I know that what I use is non-toxic and safe for the environment. This is important to me because I know Amira won't suffer terrible burns to her mouth, throat and GI system if she got a hold of it... but also because we have a septic and the drain field ultimately moves through the earth and into a salmon creek on our property.

However, this brings up the point of everything *else* that's under the sink that doesn't have such a claim. Guess I have a "to do" for tomorrow, don't I? -- "Clean out under the kitchen sink!"

«Categories: Safe - Home & Environment»

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home